V2 of Autodesk Labs Project Photofly software has been released as a technology preview and is currently free to download from here.
OK, some of you might be asking just what is Project Photofly. Well, to put it briefly, Project Photofly can convert a series of 2D photographs into a 3D model.
Some key features of Project Photofly are:
- Anyone with a digital camera can create a near accurate 3D models from photographs using the web.
- You can use a cheap point and shoot digital camera.
- You don't need a super computer to render the model as Photofly uses the power of cloud computing to translate your photos into detailed 3D models.
- The resultant 3D models can be manipulated by design software (e.g., AutoCAD, Inventor, 123D).
- You can share your finished work using YouTube, or on an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch device.
For a bit more information on Project Photofly and for some examples of what it can do, check out Shaan Hurleys blogs “Between the Lines”.